Do You Have to Report Minor Vehicle Accidents?

As trusted car accident lawyers Fort Collins CO offers, we often hear a few very common questions from our clients. One of these questions is: If you have a minor accident, do you have to report it?

It’s understandable that so many people ask this, because “fender benders” are quite common and often result in very little damage. It may seem unnecessary to report this type of accident. However, there are circumstances in which you should report a vehicle accident, no matter how minor it is.

Reporting Accidents to the Police

Any car accident lawyers Fort Collins CO has may tell you that the answer to this question depends on the state you live in and the amount of damage done in the accident.

Almost all states require you to report an accident if there is an injury involved, which is something that could occur with even a minor accident. For minor accidents with no injuries, some states require you to report the accident to the police if the damage is worth over a certain amount. The amount varies by state, but it is usually $1,000 or $2,500. Your Fort Collins car accident lawyers can tell you the requirements in your state.

When the Other Driver is Cooperative:

Car accident lawyers Fort Collins CO residents trust may recommend that you report the accident to the police even when the driver is cooperative. It depends on the circumstances.

You should exchange information with the other driver when the accident occurs. You want to get their contact information, their license plate and driver’s license number, and their insurance information. No matter what state you live in, you are required to exchange this information for any accident.

If the driver does have insurance and is cooperative with you, keep in mind that there still may be a need to report the accident to the police. Many car accident lawyers in Fort Collins CO have seen situations where everything went well on the scene after the accident, but a dispute arose later.

Additionally, keep in mind that injuries can occur even in minor accidents and might not show up until days after the accident. If this is the case, without contacting the police and having an official report, the legitimacy of your claim is based on your word against the other driver’s.

When the Other Driver is Uncooperative:

You may face a driver who doesn’t want to cooperate or who appears to not have insurance. In this case, you should report the accident and request that law enforcement come to the scene to help you resolve the situation. If the driver isn’t cooperating immediately after the accident, you can imagine how things may proceed in the future.

Cannon Hadfield Stieben & Doutt, LLC: Car Accident Lawyers Fort Collins CO Drivers Rely On

Now that you know when to report a minor accident to the police, we hope that, in the future, you can make an informed decision. It may be in your best interest to report any accident to prevent future problems. If you need help dealing with damages after an accident, call the car accident lawyers Fort Collins CO drivers would recommend at Cannon Hadfield Stieben & Doutt, LLC by calling 970-689-3037 today.